Dn. Paisios, Matushka Theodora and myself just returned from the 20th All American Council (AAC) in Baltimore, MD. The AAC is a gathering of all rectors, assigned clergy and lay delegates from around the OCA, and takes place every three years.
It was a joyful and productive time where many issues regarding our Church, current events, and pressing (not always exciting) business issues were discussed. There are videos and photos from the Council available online if you’d like to take a look.
The Holy Synod of bishops made several public and church-wide statements that you may be interested in as well, among others:
- The Holy Synod designated annually the Sunday closest to the December feast of St. Herman, for a free-will collection from each parish in the Orthodox Church in America to support the Diocese of Alaska Clergy Endowment (help pay clergy salary to Alaskan priests).
- The Holy Synod released a statement concerning the continual rise of views on human sexuality and gender identity contrary to an Orthodox Christian worldview.
In addition, in regards to the conflict in Ukraine, the 20th All-American Council:
- Expressed support for the statements by His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon and the Holy Synod condemning the aggression against Ukraine;
- Expressed support for His Beatitude Metropolitan Onuphry of Kyiv and the Ukrainian Orthodox Church;
- Condemned the attacks upon parishes, monasteries, and temples whether by military action, seizure by other religious groups, or pressure and interference by civil authorities or occupying forces; and
- Remembered with love the visit of His Beatitude Metropolitan Onuphry to the 18th All-American Council in Atlanta.
There will be a verbal report from the AAC on a future Sunday.
Archpriest Andreas Blom
Rector, Archangel Gabriel Orthodox Church